Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Constructing Learning Using SOLO

I just found this old post about using SOLO Taxonomy with my students.
Thought I would repost as my team begins to plan our next topic of inquiry.

Constructing learning using SOLO is not just a one-way street. Sometimes you need to make a U-turn to pick up that missing jigsaw puzzle piece, or that key ingredient that you didn't see the relevance of until you needed it.

When planning using SOLO, I make sure students have the opportunities to climb to the top of the mountain, to feel the exhilaration and excitement, and view of possibilities that lay before them. But I also make sure that they have to keep going back down to get extra resources, information, skills and experiences that they need to extend them further in their journey.

My overall goal is to facilitate inquisitive learners who dive deeper under the surface of learning. That is not just satisfied with being told that something is 'just so', but to explore their wonderings about it and find out why it is like it is. I want them to know the purpose of the skills they are learning, the relevance in the real world and when to use their skills most effectively in real-life situations. 'Why?' is my favourite word.

Here is a fantastic clip that explains SOLO using lego blocks.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo. I love using SOLO to structure the learning for my students. Here is a link to all the resources I have either collated or made myself.
    http://bobthedog3.blogspot.com/p/solo-resources.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing. Those google drawings of the maps are going to be great to use.
      Yay another SOLO lover :-)

      Delete

Our Happy Place

Here is the Green Team creating sunbathing rocks for the butterflies in our pollination garden.  There is nothing more beautiful than our ch...