Sunday, October 21, 2018

The Frustration of Learning to Fish

Life Is About Learning

As a single girl who gets frustrated with not yet having learned some skills related to 'traditional male activities', and with a slightly stubborn side to her nature, the idea of teaching myself how to fish both terrified and challenged me.

Initially aiming big, in order to be able to fish, I envisioned myself buying a boat and teaching myself how to drive it, however thankfully I decided that buying a fishing kayak may be a better place to start.

Next came buying the fishing gear. Walking into the hunting and fishing shop was like walking into unknown territory..... it became very apparent that I (excuse the pun) was a fish out of water and I didn't know the first thing about fishing.

I asked for advice on what to buy, and how to care for the gear. I was very kindly told to wash it down after every use and to bring it in to be serviced once a year.

It took 3 months to get the courage to go out..... I managed to catch and kill my first fish. It was trial and error, I learned to tie knots via YouTube clips whilst floating on my kayak.... just in time learning.
You tube in fact taught me everything.

 I loved it...

Winter came and I diligently took my reel in to be serviced.

The men pulled it apart and said "This has been submerged, everyone knows salt water is going to corrode your gear."
.... of course it had,... I had rolled the kayak a couple of times coming into the beach... cleaned it after and thought it was all good....
The reel was stuffed, and my frustration was huge.... why hadn't I had this vital piece of information when I brought it... I felt daft for not knowing. It was an expensive lesson to learn but a mistake I won't make again.

All I could think of was the fact that life is about learning.... this is the challenge that children face every day with their learning. Why did I continue to perceive with fishing? Because of the thrill of success, for the feeling of catching the fish, of learning to tie a knot and it holding.

We need to help students gain the information and skill they need for success and support them to keep going when mistakes are made and they feel like giving up, to help them learn from mistakes... but celebrating success is so very important as that is what will keep driving them forward.

....and now I think nothing of paddling my kayak out into the water and pulling up a few snapper.....even the big ones.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Happy Place

Here is the Green Team creating sunbathing rocks for the butterflies in our pollination garden.  There is nothing more beautiful than our ch...