Sunday, December 15, 2019

Comparison of Student Voice Responses Term 1-Term 4

In order to get a deeper understanding of how students perceived both themselves as learners and the effectiveness of my teaching practice. I conducted a student voice survey in Term 1 and Term 4.

Term 1 Responses
Term 2 Responses
Reflection
I am good at reading/ writing - yes/sometimes/no?
S3- ”Sometimes I don’t do well because I'm tired.”
S1-” I’m good I write on the word.”
S4 - "I write my sister’s names.”
S1- “I can write it good, my pirate one. I could write so many words.”
S4- “I need the word card.”

S4- "No I don't write properly and then I fix it. My sister helps me. 
S1- "Yes I'm good. I know all the words."
S4- "Yes I sound out the words."
S2- "No I suck, I don't know how to spell ...my family say it."

This tells me that some of my target students have low self-esteem when it comes to writing. This is something I need to address within my teaching moving forward.
When I can't do something it is easy to ask my teacher for help- yes/sometimes/no?
S1- “Ask 3 people before the teacher, ask your friend then you go ask the teacher.”
“Ask your friend (repeated by all 4)”

S1- "No you have to ask 3 people before you."
Is my classroom management system of students asking 3 peers for help before approaching the teacher while she is taking a small group impacting them feeling they are able to gain the help they needed at other times of the day? I will need to explore this further as it is interesting they gave the same response twice. 

My teacher listens to my ideas - yes/sometimes/no?
S2- “Everyone always talking, she picks the people who are listening, who get to talking.”

S4- “Yes”
S1- “Yes:
S2- "No, you don't listen during mat time." 

This child constantly calls out during mat time and talks over other students. Interesting to see that he feels like he isn't being listened to.  How can I address this issue so that he feels that he has a voice and that he is listened to?
Do you feel okay to talk in your own language at school? Why or why not?
S2- “No I want to practice my language at home, I have to learn it from my mum. It is hard to write in Tongan. I would like to talk more in Tongan at school.”
S1-"No because people are Maori. People keep saying Maori to me.”
S3- “I speak Samoan with my friends.”

S2- “Yes, so teachers can speak in Tongan. She (pointing to me and laughing to his friends) is a bit good. The Tongan kids are her teachers.”
S1- “I like to talk, yes. All the Tongan students can listen and my Dad.”
It’s cool speaking at school. When I speak to H (a Tongan girl from the class) she talks to me in Tongan. We play together. 
This was a significant shift in students responses from not feeling like they could speak their first language at school to feeling comfortable speaking it. They talk of teaching their teachers and of being able to communicate with friends and family. These responses show the success of having a more culturally responsive classroom and using PELP to change teacher practice.
What do you want your teachers to know about you and how you learn best?
S2- “Tell my teacher about at writing, about pirates”
S4- “I like maths, soccer, cooking.”
S3- "Bikes”
S1- "I like to cut coconuts.”

S2- :I can go outside and speak in Tongan.”
S4- “We both take turns to talk”.
S3- I work with my buddy- say the sentence and write it.”
S1- I like the Tongan game putting the words with the pictures. I do it at home.”
This time students could articulate the emphasis they put on working collaboratively as well as the importance of learning in their first language. S1 is referring to a sequencing game whereby they had to sequence the pictures from a dual language book and match it to the text. This was an activity they got to take home to do with their families.

This data shows the areas I still need to work on, evident within the responses to the first three questions. These will help to guide changes to my teaching practice moving forward from here.
  • developing students self efficacy in writing.
  • ensuring all students can gain the help they need from me when they need it, being clearer about using terms like 'see 3 before me' during small group teaching, so that they don't interpret that as being all times of the day. 
  • finding ways to ensure that all students are listened to while at the same time helping them develop turn taking while speaking. 
This data shows strengths in the areas of
  • creating a culturally responsive learning environment whereby students feel confident using their first language.
  • the use of collaborative learning, students taking turns to speak and students working with buddies. 
  • The use of resources that encourage literacy in students first language, and the power of having these resources available to go home with the students for home learning with families.

These three areas I see as evidence of the effectiveness of changed practice moving from relatively non-culturally responsive teaching practice to a creating a culturally responsive classroom that embraces the use of student's first languages so they can learn in their first language and make connections between their first language and English. Collaborative learning and students turn-taking when talking are mentioned as ways students learn best, therefore me changing my practice to incorporate these aspects into my teaching has had a positive influence on student learning. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jo,

    It's Alethea here from the MIT cohort for this year! Your blog looks incredible with a detailed use and description of data. This looks like a lot of thought hours and work. I'm actually just trying to contact you regarding the '5 Whys' of our MIT proposal. Feel free to email me any time at aletheadejong@hornbyprimary.school.nz
    Kind regards,
    Alethea

    ReplyDelete

Our Happy Place

Here is the Green Team creating sunbathing rocks for the butterflies in our pollination garden.  There is nothing more beautiful than our ch...